Skip to main content

CIT--last day

This was day.....Day 21. I was woefully inadequate in my counting. My days got mixed up.

And this was the very last day we had to get up and be at the hospital at 9 a.m.

Wild Applause!!!!

Ashley snuggled into her daddy while we waited for everything to start.




Today was a day of therapy for the first hour or so, then testing and measuring the differences in their before and after dexterity and strength. The third hour was to be the final swim of the program but was canceled due to something unmentionable happening in the pool.

Before I tell you about the day, I want to show you Mickey. He used to sit near the entrance of the hospital and when we'd come in my children would say "hello Mickey!" and when we'd leave they would say "Goodbye Mickey!" and give him a hug. He was kind of a given---a constant if you will, for us. Yes, I know it's quite sad that my children had such a relationship with a wooden figure. When they were a little older we got them real friends.

We noticed at one point that he was gone and then suddenly he reappeared. Mickey is back!



I think he shrunk. I refuse to believe my children are getting taller.

la la la la la la la I can't heaaaaaaaaar you!

So, the last day of CIT. We left the girls in the hands of the therapists and we left the hospital. I think we were both suffering a bad case of hospital burn out. We went and got a bagel, drove around a bit then came back.

No worries....we always return. Like a boomerang. Like a homing pigeon. Like the swallows of Capistrano. Like teenagers when the money runs out. We found Ashley being tested and video taped. She didn't want me in there and it will clearly show on the video taped record that she ordered me out of the room. Nicely, but still an order.



I'm not sure what she was doing here but she may have been showing the therapist "This is how my head feels when my mommy follows me around with her camera". It's just a guess.




We went to the parent resource room to play on the computers I mean to do some very important work online and then we went to the pool but found the sign saying it was not a good place to swim that day. Back upstairs we went in search of our child and found all of them in the therapy area playing some games.

Devon was bowling.



And Ashley was playing some sort of game. Oh wait, that's bowling too. I just came back to edit that and tell you that it's bowling. I know what bowling is. Honest. So, she's bowling.



When she saw us she ran to get the treat she'd made for us the day before. Much to my dismay there wasn't a broccoli floret on the plate! It was just chocolate chip cookies. You can see Peggy here, eying the plate. Later we had to wrestle her for them. You'll be glad to know that we won. :) (KIDDING!) She won! No, ok, not really. There was no wrestling. No Occupational Therapists were injured in the making of this blog post. :)



Speaking of blog posts, we told them about this blog with all the pictures of the CIT camp. They wanted to see it, so I logged on for them and they gathered around. They seemed to be gasping as they read. I hope this was in a good way, but the jury could still be out on that one. I took a picture of the Blog Stalkers. See?



All in all......a wonderful and very helpful experience. Ashley loved it and said she wants to sign on for another round. I'm not sure how that works but we can probably get on the waiting list for CIT again. At least I hope so.

Thanks for everything!



I almost forgot to say that we had lunch in the cafeteria with Devon and her mom. Such wonderful people--I'm so glad we got to know them.

Ashley and Devon discussed the after-cit-plan together. Each will be doing certain activities with their weaker hands in order to keep up their gains.




Ashley did something sweet for her sister when we left the hospital today. I'll post about that tomorrow as I'm pretty wiped out from two hours of swimming tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Poem to an Abusive Man

I've been doing a bit of research on abuse, domestic violence and how it usually ends. It's not pretty and it's painful and I hurt every time I read another woman's tale of horror.

Did you know that emotional abuse is as detrimental as physical abuse? And that most emotional abusers continue on to become physical abusers? I didn't. I do now. I found a site where formerly abused women, on the path to recovery from their abusers, have written poems. This one below is one that haunted me.

Thank You

You wooed me with poetry
I bit on the hook
Had I only first read
The name of the book

I would have avoided
The very first page
For pages kept turning
Revealing the rage

The ups were a great high
The ride was a bash
But I rode with my eyes closed
To avoid seeing the crash
I knew it would come soon
But I never knew when
The rage and the leaving
And the path to the end

You had to control things
Determined you would
Emotionally destroying me
Every way that you could

I'll Love You Forever, I'll Like You For Always...

I rely on the kindness of strangers...

Or not so much strangers as readers of my miserable blog.

I received a beautiful card in the mail from my long-tine reader (perhaps my ONLY reader) that lifted my heart. Thank you, G. Parkes. It was kind of you to think of me. Seriously---you are so sweet. Thank you.

Perhaps we can meet in person one day. I'll be in Utah after Conference. We'll see how it goes.

I've been caring for my autistic grandson since July. It seems longer sometimes---and that's not a complaint. I adore this little man. He holds my heart. He fills my arms and my heart in the way that my own small babies used to do. When mine reached the age where they didn't want to be in my arms any longer, I felt their absence. Their absence from my arms was heavier than actually having them in my arms. It was an ache that is difficult to describe, a phantom pain where something once was but now is no longer.

Before my husband and I went to the cabin th…

I'm Sick. And the election isn't helping.

I spoke too soon about feeling better. My grandson was delightful enough to share his virus with me, so I've spent the past five days losing everything from both ends. It hasn't been pretty.

As a weight loss program though...

At least one end of me has stopped spewing. Now I wait for the other end to stop pretending to be filled with hot lava and erupting without much notice. Sorry, this is what is called over-sharing. Apparently I'm very good at it. You're welcome.

Last night I walked around the block with hubby and our adorable puppy. It was the first time I've been out of the house in five days. It was lovely, even though I was very shaky. Today I actually tried to accomplish something. I sat at my jewelry table, moved my seaglass around. Picked up pieces and played them through my hands. Such beautfy that came from something considered useless garbage and tossed away. I love my sea glass. It gives me the happies.

I also had a severe case of J…