Skip to main content

Carkeek Park---Again!

This evening we took Allison, Ashley, Chris and his friend Tim to Carkeek Park. These summer-like days of September are begging to be enjoyed and we are in the perfect place to enjoy them.

We took along our little grill, some brats, buns, chips, grapes and drinks and had dinner there as we watched the sun set over the Olympic Mountains. Gorgeous! Beautiful! As I said the blessing on our little meal I thanked Heavenly Father for giving us such an amazing world to live in and love.

After we ate we put the food away and went down to the water.

I wish I could describe the feelings that rose up in me as I walked up the cement walkway to the bridge and then down the metal stairs that are open so you can see clear through to the ground. I was reminded of how often I made this same walk as a teenager with my friends. The air smelled the same....the sky was just as blue...the water the same wonderous sight. I suppose I am the one that has changed, morphed into a mother and wife.

No longer was my walk the carefree race to see who could hit the sand first. It doesn't mean things aren't as fun, it just means they are different because I am different.

We skipped rocks and played in the water and watched the full bright white moon rise over the trees as we were leaving. I hope my children will be holding these memories in their hearts as I hold my own memories of Carkeek Park.

Click to play Carkeek Park
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

Comments

  1. Such sweet memories! I go back for my 30 year class reunion in a week or so and I can hardly wait to revisit my childhood... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were there too! We went in the late afternoon so we must have just missed each other. It was such a lovely day to be living in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead....tell me the truth :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ahhhhhh

Ally and I just got back from the gym. I went every day last week and even though it's Spring break for the kids and me this week, I promised myself I wouldn't fall off the wagon. No, not that one. I've fallen off so many times I've got callouses and other assorted damages from hitting the ground. We'll see how this works out this time. One day at a time, right? I can't do more than I can do. Whoa, how profound is that? You're right. Not very. I'm fighting a cold right now---scratchy painful throat, ears that won't unplug and a heavy feeling in my chest that I fear does not bode well for the rest of the week. Not that we're taking a vacation. We'd love to of course, but what with times the way they are and the things we need to get done here, it simply wasn't an option. So what are we doing for our spectacular spring break? I'm glad you asked. We're cleaning! Yes, you heard right. And my kids (Ok, the younger ones at an...

Wheeeeeeee!

Today I was awakened to the not-so-delightful sounds of enormous dump trucks, (you know the ones that are a dump truck and they haul a trailer behind?) dumping truck load after truck load of dirt behind my house. Then the most incredibly noisey and squeaky (do they not grease the tracks on those things??) grader began shoving the dirt and rocks around. I had to fight the urge to throw a can of WD40 over the fence to the driver. It wasn't even eight in the morning. It wasn't even 7:30 yet. So I reluctantly arose from my bed and cleaned up the kitchen. After it was spotless, I went back upstairs to my freeze-zone (the only room in the house with AC) to do some online banking and make calls to check on medical bills, etc. As I was finishing up, in walks my husband! At first I had a moment of Oh-no-he's-lost-his-job terror. Then it passed after he smiled. Seems they ran out of work for the day. Odd, but then that's Boeing. So hubby was roped into going school cloth...

The Boy

Will Soon Be Graduating From High School This means, in some small measure, I have successfully managed to get him through 12 years of school and to the age of 18 alive. No small accomplishment, that. Today he called for a ride home after he rode the bus most of the way to our house. As it was about 90 degrees outside, I obliged. I'm a good mom, plus it got me out of a very hot house and into the sweet deliciousness of my air conditioned vehicle. My oldest and youngest daughters went along for the ride and they spotted The Boy before I did. "What's up with his pants?" Indeed. The operative word for his pants was up . He wears those extremely skinny jeans and he'd rolled them up to about knee level and he was walking towards us with a grimace on his face. He was in pain. You see, five hours earlier, in the throes of near heat exhaustion, he rolled the legs of his pants up and then his legs swelled up. He was unable to remove his own pants or roll down what he...