Skip to main content

Two and a half times the usual

We took another walk along the levee this afternoon. This time we took the girls, as well as the doggie. The first thing we noticed was just how high the river had risen in just two days. The water was moving much faster and it was a muddy brown. The big melt has begun.

Apparently we got two and a half times the normal amount of snowfall up in the mountains this year.

This does not bode well for the river.

Here you can see the difference. This was taken on Monday. See the concrete block and how far the water is from it?

Photobucket

This was taken today. Ashley is sitting on the concrete block and poking a stick in the water.

Photobucket

We brought along a neighbor girl who sometimes spends time at our house.

Photobucket

Here's Ally mugging for the camera.

Photobucket

We walked and we walked and we walked. It was warm and humid and yes we were sweating. The girls said they wanted a treat for walking so many miles, so we took them to an old soldier's cemetery on the way home. Most of the graves were from the Spanish American War, many said they'd served in WWI and WWII.

Photobucket
Photobucket

And here's the reason we suffer so much at the gas pumps.
Photobucket

It was interesting to read the tombstones. To see the births in the 1800's and lives lived and spent well before I was born. It's a well maintained graveyard and there were even some sites that had flowers placed upon them.

Then we took the girls to get a Frosty before we went home. As if going to the cemetery wasn't treat enough! I tell ya. Kids these days.

Comments

  1. Ono! More snow than usual! It's an ice age!! Help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, someone please tell Al Gore that he really has nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You spend a lot of time on holiday...hmmm..

    nice pics......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead....tell me the truth :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ahhhhhh

Ally and I just got back from the gym. I went every day last week and even though it's Spring break for the kids and me this week, I promised myself I wouldn't fall off the wagon. No, not that one. I've fallen off so many times I've got callouses and other assorted damages from hitting the ground. We'll see how this works out this time. One day at a time, right? I can't do more than I can do. Whoa, how profound is that? You're right. Not very. I'm fighting a cold right now---scratchy painful throat, ears that won't unplug and a heavy feeling in my chest that I fear does not bode well for the rest of the week. Not that we're taking a vacation. We'd love to of course, but what with times the way they are and the things we need to get done here, it simply wasn't an option. So what are we doing for our spectacular spring break? I'm glad you asked. We're cleaning! Yes, you heard right. And my kids (Ok, the younger ones at an...

Wheeeeeeee!

Today I was awakened to the not-so-delightful sounds of enormous dump trucks, (you know the ones that are a dump truck and they haul a trailer behind?) dumping truck load after truck load of dirt behind my house. Then the most incredibly noisey and squeaky (do they not grease the tracks on those things??) grader began shoving the dirt and rocks around. I had to fight the urge to throw a can of WD40 over the fence to the driver. It wasn't even eight in the morning. It wasn't even 7:30 yet. So I reluctantly arose from my bed and cleaned up the kitchen. After it was spotless, I went back upstairs to my freeze-zone (the only room in the house with AC) to do some online banking and make calls to check on medical bills, etc. As I was finishing up, in walks my husband! At first I had a moment of Oh-no-he's-lost-his-job terror. Then it passed after he smiled. Seems they ran out of work for the day. Odd, but then that's Boeing. So hubby was roped into going school cloth...

The Boy

Will Soon Be Graduating From High School This means, in some small measure, I have successfully managed to get him through 12 years of school and to the age of 18 alive. No small accomplishment, that. Today he called for a ride home after he rode the bus most of the way to our house. As it was about 90 degrees outside, I obliged. I'm a good mom, plus it got me out of a very hot house and into the sweet deliciousness of my air conditioned vehicle. My oldest and youngest daughters went along for the ride and they spotted The Boy before I did. "What's up with his pants?" Indeed. The operative word for his pants was up . He wears those extremely skinny jeans and he'd rolled them up to about knee level and he was walking towards us with a grimace on his face. He was in pain. You see, five hours earlier, in the throes of near heat exhaustion, he rolled the legs of his pants up and then his legs swelled up. He was unable to remove his own pants or roll down what he...