Skip to main content

Old Old Old

As I was driving Alli to school this morning, I was eyeing some black gloves sitting on the console. I knew she didn't have any mittens on and so I asked her if she wanted to wear them. Heck, *I* wanted to wear them as the temperature gauge on my rearview mirror kept flashing 'ice' and then '18 degrees'. It was cold.

Alli told me that she didn't need the gloves, she was fine.

"Is it warm in your classrooms?"
"Yeah, they keep the heat on. You probably didn't even have heat in your schools when you were a kid"
"Well duh. That was so long ago we didn't even have classrooms. We met in caves and drew hieroglyphics on the walls."
"I believe it!"

Earlier in the drive we were going past a sharp incline that led up to some houses and she said, "Remember that old guy that was climbing up there the other day? Wasn't that weird?"

I agreed that it was a bit odd.

"I hate old people"

I then mentioned to her that the guy she'd seen climbing that hill was MUCH younger than I am and what did she mean that she hated OLD PEOPLE??

"You know, OLD people. When they get old and cranky!"
"Am I old and cranky?"
"Well, you're not cranky."

I feel a bit cranky after falling on the sidewalk last night for no apparent reason. I was carrying a long pork tenderloin, a plastic container of spices and a sheet of cooking instructions in one hand and in the other I had a paper cup of hot apple cider. The next thing I knew I was on the ground. My memory is vague on this, but I seem to recall the pork flying off in one direction and my cup of cider flying off in the other. I'm not quite sure how it happened as I didn't see any ice there.

Of course I landed smack dab on my bad knee. That was fun.

I think I'm entitled to be cranky now that I'm old and wounded, don't you think?

Comments

  1. So I think the bright side is you landed on your bad knee -- protect that good one!! Otherwise, the crank comment turns into a nostalgic yearning for the good old days when you still had a good knee...

    Anyway, another great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicus, thank you for admitting that you don't think. It was something we've all thought at one time or another but were afraid to say out loud.

    Chris, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still feel eighteen years old. I just wish my body did! Thanks for a laugh. I needed that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead....tell me the truth :)

Popular posts from this blog

Peace Begins with You

In my readings this week, I came across a video of Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin. He gave a talk entitled, "Peace Within." Who doesn't want peace? Who doesn't crave peace within their soul? In their lives? In their hearts and in their homes? How often do we have complete peace? I'd say my answer would have to be that there isn't enough peace in my life, heart or home. It's not like I live in a warzone--I do not. I'm blessed to live in a nation where I have freedoms granted to me by the founding fathers and I do not risk being struck down by bombs or shot by snipers when I venture forth from my home. My neighborhood is relatively safe, so much so that I take solo walks. The peace I speak of is something different. It's the peace that can be with me no matter my circumstances. I crave that peace. Elder Wirthlin says that peace begins in the hearts of righteous individuals. How does it begin? With a relationship with our creator. In ferven

Wheeeeeeee!

Today I was awakened to the not-so-delightful sounds of enormous dump trucks, (you know the ones that are a dump truck and they haul a trailer behind?) dumping truck load after truck load of dirt behind my house. Then the most incredibly noisey and squeaky (do they not grease the tracks on those things??) grader began shoving the dirt and rocks around. I had to fight the urge to throw a can of WD40 over the fence to the driver. It wasn't even eight in the morning. It wasn't even 7:30 yet. So I reluctantly arose from my bed and cleaned up the kitchen. After it was spotless, I went back upstairs to my freeze-zone (the only room in the house with AC) to do some online banking and make calls to check on medical bills, etc. As I was finishing up, in walks my husband! At first I had a moment of Oh-no-he's-lost-his-job terror. Then it passed after he smiled. Seems they ran out of work for the day. Odd, but then that's Boeing. So hubby was roped into going school cloth

She's Something...

Most of you know that I've got four children. My eldest is seventeen. Oh heavens...how did that happen? Wasn't I just seventeen the other day? I'm sure I was.... Well, she's amazing. I know the majority of mothers have very high compliments to pay their children--and rightly so. However, my baby girl is astounding by anyone's standards. She is going to high school and college at the same time. In high school she's taking mostly AP (Advanced Placement) classes, which also count for college credits. She gets up at five a.m. every morning, goes to Seminary, then goes to school, she works four hours daily as an office manager at Winderemere Real Estate. She speaks Spanish, plays piano, guitar and flute. She goes to the gym daily and it shows. This was her yesterday. This is a picture I just took of her, after getting her braces put on. Now, having said that she is gifted and talented, I should ammend this post to tell you the following. She just got home