Skip to main content

Puppies and Incisions and Interpreting Against the Rules

It's Sunday night. Go time. Get ready to start the week. I spent all day in bed---no, I really did. Yesterday wore me out. We moved Allison into our room, moved us into her room and moved Ashley into our room. Our former room. Now Alli and Ash are sharing our big room and we have the itty bitty room. Stephanie will also be moving into the room with her sisters.

We'll see how long that lasts.

Three girls in one room + two sinks+one shower= future tirades I can already hear from here.

I hope and pray this teaches them compassion, patience, sharing, caring and that they come out on the other side of this experience better human beings. I will do my very best to facilitate this goal. In the mean time, wheeeeee!

Week One down of school and work (for me) It felt like a month. By the time Friday rolled around I was ready to drop. And drop I did. For a whole ten minutes. Then I got up and took Alli to meet her friends at the football game. (Go Thunderbirds!) Then I surprised my father by showing up at my sister's place at Fircrest School. We sat outside in the warm air and visited while Cheri listened to the Statler Brothers on my iPhone and watched a slideshow of the pictures. She LOVES the Statler Brothers. He brought his little Beagle out of his truck so she could pet the doggie.



In other not-so-pretty-looking-pictures, Lance had his first post-op appointment at Harborview on Friday afternoon. This was our very first look at the horrors befallen him in the operating room. It was not a pretty sight---and now he knows why a certain part of the incision was causing him so much pain. It's infected. So he's on some powerful antibiotics. If those don't work, guess where he's going? Yep, a room with a view. See the glory of the leg!


I know, I should have posted a warning about that photo. Trust me, it was worse in real life. He's moving around better on his little knee scooter. I told him that I know part of him enjoys it and he grinned. Yep, he's still a little kid that enjoys rocketing around on little wheelie things. I just hope he doesn't go flying down the stairs on it. He's been told he can go back to work IF HE IS SITTING. So, tomorrow he will try it and see how it goes. I worry. Of course I worry. Now I sound like a Jewish mother---I worry, of course I worry? How could I not?

While we were at the Hospital, a little man was sitting across from us in the casting room. I could tell he wasn't understanding a single word that the doctors or techs were saying to him. I stepped over and asked him if he spoke Spanish. He was SO HAPPY! So I interpreted for him, a blatant no-no in the world of HIPPA and DSHS, but no one seemed fazed by it. The poor man was from Guatamala, has no family here and works as a dishwasher in a restaurant in south Seattle. I helped him get an interpreter signed up for his next hospital visit. Even then, they said they weren't sure they would have one available. Grrrrrrrr. That was upsetting. This is a huge hospital---the regional trauma center and they don't have Interpreters available???How can that be? It felt good to help someone, after being told by my work that I can't help anyone. Sigh.

At any rate, on to read scriptures with the fam and get everyone moving towards bed. Not me though. After having slept all day (migraine) I'm not especially tired. See you on the flip side :)

Comments

  1. You interpreting rebel, you! Maybe the hospital is hiring? You're there enough already...you may as well get paid for it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am a rebel. I'm not sure I'd want to work for Harborview. They have some grisly stuff come through there. Plus the neighborhood is iffy.

    I like my nice quiet suburban setting. I'm so not a city girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead....tell me the truth :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Poem to an Abusive Man

I've been doing a bit of research on abuse, domestic violence and how it usually ends. It's not pretty and it's painful and I hurt every time I read another woman's tale of horror.

Did you know that emotional abuse is as detrimental as physical abuse? And that most emotional abusers continue on to become physical abusers? I didn't. I do now. I found a site where formerly abused women, on the path to recovery from their abusers, have written poems. This one below is one that haunted me.

Thank You

You wooed me with poetry
I bit on the hook
Had I only first read
The name of the book

I would have avoided
The very first page
For pages kept turning
Revealing the rage

The ups were a great high
The ride was a bash
But I rode with my eyes closed
To avoid seeing the crash
I knew it would come soon
But I never knew when
The rage and the leaving
And the path to the end

You had to control things
Determined you would
Emotionally destroying me
Every way that you could

I'll Love You Forever, I'll Like You For Always...

I rely on the kindness of strangers...

Or not so much strangers as readers of my miserable blog.

I received a beautiful card in the mail from my long-tine reader (perhaps my ONLY reader) that lifted my heart. Thank you, G. Parkes. It was kind of you to think of me. Seriously---you are so sweet. Thank you.

Perhaps we can meet in person one day. I'll be in Utah after Conference. We'll see how it goes.

I've been caring for my autistic grandson since July. It seems longer sometimes---and that's not a complaint. I adore this little man. He holds my heart. He fills my arms and my heart in the way that my own small babies used to do. When mine reached the age where they didn't want to be in my arms any longer, I felt their absence. Their absence from my arms was heavier than actually having them in my arms. It was an ache that is difficult to describe, a phantom pain where something once was but now is no longer.

Before my husband and I went to the cabin th…

I'm Sick. And the election isn't helping.

I spoke too soon about feeling better. My grandson was delightful enough to share his virus with me, so I've spent the past five days losing everything from both ends. It hasn't been pretty.

As a weight loss program though...

At least one end of me has stopped spewing. Now I wait for the other end to stop pretending to be filled with hot lava and erupting without much notice. Sorry, this is what is called over-sharing. Apparently I'm very good at it. You're welcome.

Last night I walked around the block with hubby and our adorable puppy. It was the first time I've been out of the house in five days. It was lovely, even though I was very shaky. Today I actually tried to accomplish something. I sat at my jewelry table, moved my seaglass around. Picked up pieces and played them through my hands. Such beautfy that came from something considered useless garbage and tossed away. I love my sea glass. It gives me the happies.

I also had a severe case of J…