Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. The one day a year that we are required by law to take the day off from paid labor and labor without pay. See what I did there? I turned it arou.... Yeah. Nevermind.
It's 8:30 on Thanksgiving Eve. Four pies, 2 dozen deviled eggs, and a double batch of spinach dip were completed after my paid labor today. I'll rise early tomorrow morning to make stuffing, then stuff it inside dead poultry.
While I love the tradition that's been passed down to me--that of making mountains of food so the family can eat themselves comatose, that's not what I wanted to write about tonight.
Being thankful. Having a heart full of gratitude. My heart is indeed full and I am thankful for so many things. Here's a list, in no particular order of things I'm thankful for:
1. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (Remember, I said in no particular order)
2. My husband. Kindhearted, forgiving, giving, sacrificing, patient man.
3. Thankful that my oldest daughter has turned her heart to the Lord and to things spiritual.
4. Our kitty. So soft, so affectionate. It's my living stuffed animal :)
5. My job. I love what I do and that is just a huge bonus.
6. My Sunbeams. I look forward to their hugs and smiles all week long.
7. My cranky, cantankerous, curmudgeonly father who hides a big heart.
8. The scriptures that fill my soul when I read them.
9. For being bilingual.
10. To have grown up with a disabled sister and to have learned compassion for the
special people among us.
11. Warm steamy showers in cold snowy mornings.
12. Heated leather seats in a 4wd drive-fossil-fuel-guzzling machine.
13. My son, who has taught me how to love unconditionally and brought me closer to my Father in heaven.
14. The beach cabin where we've made such amazing family memories.
15. NCIS. Seriously. Who doesn't love Leroy Jethro Gibbs? C'mon.
16. My mom for giving me life and loving me so much. I miss her.
17. Navigation on my Droid. Honestly, I'm so directionally challenged I can get lost in my own house. Technology is AMAZING.
18. My Kindle. Ok, I don't have one yet but a girl can dream.
19. Answers to prayers---lifting of burdens and the knowledge that I have a loving Heavenly Father who is aware of my sorrows and my joys.
20. Old friends. We can be apart for years and then pick right up where we left off.
21. The ability to change the channel when Victoria's Secret model commercials come on.
23. The smell of fresh cut grass.
24. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I may have mentioned that one before.
25. Allison's sense of humor. That girl makes me laugh and laugh and laugh.
26. In-laws who are loving and kind and accepting.
27. A down comforter on chilly winter nights.
28. The fact that my 12 year old doesn't consider herself too old for snuggles and hugs.
29. A full refrigerator so my children are not going hungry.
30. The opportunities I have to serve others.
31. Phad Thai. Honestly--go to Thai Fusion near Northgate Mall. It's amazing.
32. Root beer. Icy cold root beer.
33. Kind people who don't base their personal assessments on someone's looks.
34. "It's a Wonderful Life". Always makes me cry.
35. Getting lost in a good book to the point where I can't put it down.
36. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Yeah, I know.
I'm stopping here. It's late and I have miles to go before I sleep.
Suffice it to say that I have been so blessed that my list could take up an incredible amount of pixels and still I would not have covered it all.
So happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm also thankful for you. If you're an old friend, a new friend or someone who happened upon my blog by accident. Thank you.
Now go have a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! :)