Skip to main content

Healthy Whole Wheat Sandwich Wraps

Last night I got the cooking bug and decided to make some Whole Wheat Sandwich Wraps. They are pretty expensive and I made 8 of them for pennies. Literally. Pennies. I got the recipe off of Allrecipes.

Whole Wheat Sandwich Wraps


Ingredients:

2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour. (I used one cup Wheat Flour, one Cup White)
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup water. (I used a whole cup of warm water)

Then I added some garlic powder, rosemary and a bit of onion powder to add some flavor to what reviewers on the site had said were some pretty bland Wraps. Oh, and a dollop of honey. I think you can take healthy too far sometimes. My taste buds agree.

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking powder. Pour in water; stir to combine. Mix in additional water in 1 tablespoon increments, until a soft pliable dough is formed. As I said above, I added a full cup of warm water. I might even add more next time. You know, because I'm just that much of a rebel.

2. Knead briefly on a lightly floured surface.I allowed my KitchenAid to do the work for me, because I'm lazy like that. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Cover and let rest for about 20 minutes.



3. Flour each ball well, place between two pieces of wax paper and roll out to desired size and thickness. Do NOT roll out using wax paper. BAD idea. Just roll them out on your counter. Trust me. Wax paper = disaster.



4. Heat an ungreased skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Peel away wax paper and grill rounds until brown flecks appear underneath. Turn and cook other side. Serve warm or cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. I used a non-stick spray on my pan instead. Worked like a charm!

After reading the reviews, I put each one into a zip lock bag as they were still warm. This sort of steamed them and kept them very pliable. Then I took some spinach, some left over chicken breasts from dinner, diced them up with some green onions, chopped pecans, salt and pepper and a bit of mayo and put it all on top.



Then I rolled it up! Easy as pie---only much less fat and calories. Plus? You burn of quite a few calories as these babies are not easy to roll out as thin as you'd want them. I applied a bit of non-stick-non-caloric cooking spray to my skillet just to keep them from sticking. I gave one to hubby for quality control and he LOVED it.



Also, the reason I went with one cup of whole wheat flour and one cup of white, is because my family is not quite on board with my ALL HEALTHY EATING PLAN and aren't used to whole wheat as a rule. Plus, some of the reviews of this recipe said that total wheat made it much more difficult to make. And since I'm all about the easy squeezy making of things, it's what I did. Don't feel as though you need to follow my additions or alterations to the recipe. But I would if I were you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Poem to an Abusive Man

I've been doing a bit of research on abuse, domestic violence and how it usually ends. It's not pretty and it's painful and I hurt every time I read another woman's tale of horror.

Did you know that emotional abuse is as detrimental as physical abuse? And that most emotional abusers continue on to become physical abusers? I didn't. I do now. I found a site where formerly abused women, on the path to recovery from their abusers, have written poems. This one below is one that haunted me.

Thank You

You wooed me with poetry
I bit on the hook
Had I only first read
The name of the book

I would have avoided
The very first page
For pages kept turning
Revealing the rage

The ups were a great high
The ride was a bash
But I rode with my eyes closed
To avoid seeing the crash
I knew it would come soon
But I never knew when
The rage and the leaving
And the path to the end

You had to control things
Determined you would
Emotionally destroying me
Every way that you could

I'll Love You Forever, I'll Like You For Always...

I rely on the kindness of strangers...

Or not so much strangers as readers of my miserable blog.

I received a beautiful card in the mail from my long-tine reader (perhaps my ONLY reader) that lifted my heart. Thank you, G. Parkes. It was kind of you to think of me. Seriously---you are so sweet. Thank you.

Perhaps we can meet in person one day. I'll be in Utah after Conference. We'll see how it goes.

I've been caring for my autistic grandson since July. It seems longer sometimes---and that's not a complaint. I adore this little man. He holds my heart. He fills my arms and my heart in the way that my own small babies used to do. When mine reached the age where they didn't want to be in my arms any longer, I felt their absence. Their absence from my arms was heavier than actually having them in my arms. It was an ache that is difficult to describe, a phantom pain where something once was but now is no longer.

Before my husband and I went to the cabin th…

I'm Sick. And the election isn't helping.

I spoke too soon about feeling better. My grandson was delightful enough to share his virus with me, so I've spent the past five days losing everything from both ends. It hasn't been pretty.

As a weight loss program though...

At least one end of me has stopped spewing. Now I wait for the other end to stop pretending to be filled with hot lava and erupting without much notice. Sorry, this is what is called over-sharing. Apparently I'm very good at it. You're welcome.

Last night I walked around the block with hubby and our adorable puppy. It was the first time I've been out of the house in five days. It was lovely, even though I was very shaky. Today I actually tried to accomplish something. I sat at my jewelry table, moved my seaglass around. Picked up pieces and played them through my hands. Such beautfy that came from something considered useless garbage and tossed away. I love my sea glass. It gives me the happies.

I also had a severe case of J…