Skip to main content

Los Pinguos and Ocean Shores



The second time seeing the amazing Los Pinguos was just as good as I thought it would be. We went to Aberdeen to see them. Steph, Sam (her boyfriend), Alli and Ash came with Lance and I. Due to my photophobia, (is that a word?) I was the one who snapped a couple of pics of Lance, Steph and Sam with the band.






They are from Argentina and besides being gorgeous, their music is addicting. We stayed after the concert for pictures and got to talk to them for a bit. I also met a woman there who is from Venezuela. Her accent made me so homesick for Venezuela!

The rest of the weekend was spent in Ocean Shores. My father, brother and 2 nephews were staying there in the Ocean Shores State Park, and we stayed in our hotel.

Hey, I like camping just as much as the next girl---I do! Ok, that was hard to type with a straight face. I DO like camping, just not in tents. I prefer hotels, with their hot water, indoor plumbing and nice beds.

But I digress...

It just so happened that our stay there was during the razor clam dig. This meant that we got up in the morning, donned shorts and shirts and headed down to the beach in the freezing wind and rain.

The beach was filled with clam diggers bundled up in thigh high boots, coats, hats, etc. We were the only group there in barefeet. You should have seen the looks we garnered as we walked into the surf and dug our limits.

Here's my nephews Chad and Cody checking to see whose clam is the biggest and my brother Bob is in the background.


Here's Lance in the surf.


Success!



Sam had never dug on our beaches before...and at first he was too cold to move. Soon though he became numb like the rest of us and dug right in. He was a GREAT digger! Here he is with Steph.



Sam digging and winning! We bestowed a new nickname on him. Clamarony! (His full name is Samarony, so you know, clam+ Sam+rony...uh..yeah. I know. Clever, right?)





Blogger won't allow me to upload any more pics right now. Suffice it to say that we had fun around the campfire at my Dad's campsite (my coat smells deliciously of smoke) and we dug the second day and then I spent the day when I got home CLEANING well over 200 clams.

Clam patties...clam chowder.....fried clams. I am clammed out for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahhhhhh

Ally and I just got back from the gym. I went every day last week and even though it's Spring break for the kids and me this week, I promised myself I wouldn't fall off the wagon. No, not that one. I've fallen off so many times I've got callouses and other assorted damages from hitting the ground. We'll see how this works out this time. One day at a time, right? I can't do more than I can do. Whoa, how profound is that? You're right. Not very. I'm fighting a cold right now---scratchy painful throat, ears that won't unplug and a heavy feeling in my chest that I fear does not bode well for the rest of the week. Not that we're taking a vacation. We'd love to of course, but what with times the way they are and the things we need to get done here, it simply wasn't an option. So what are we doing for our spectacular spring break? I'm glad you asked. We're cleaning! Yes, you heard right. And my kids (Ok, the younger ones at an...

Wheeeeeeee!

Today I was awakened to the not-so-delightful sounds of enormous dump trucks, (you know the ones that are a dump truck and they haul a trailer behind?) dumping truck load after truck load of dirt behind my house. Then the most incredibly noisey and squeaky (do they not grease the tracks on those things??) grader began shoving the dirt and rocks around. I had to fight the urge to throw a can of WD40 over the fence to the driver. It wasn't even eight in the morning. It wasn't even 7:30 yet. So I reluctantly arose from my bed and cleaned up the kitchen. After it was spotless, I went back upstairs to my freeze-zone (the only room in the house with AC) to do some online banking and make calls to check on medical bills, etc. As I was finishing up, in walks my husband! At first I had a moment of Oh-no-he's-lost-his-job terror. Then it passed after he smiled. Seems they ran out of work for the day. Odd, but then that's Boeing. So hubby was roped into going school cloth...

Oops

I keep forgetting to update this now that I've discovered the joys of Facebook. Oh, and agony of dealing with other issues. Like having the neurologist increase Ashley's seizure meds twice in one week because she's had seizures and then finding that the side effects are possibly worse than the seizures themselves. Now we're weaning her off the one med and slowly adding another one. I'm tired.... I've lost count of the nights I've spent holding her as she cries. She's missed so much school lately. You know what would be wonderful? To not have to do this anymore. Yes, there are worse things in this world. I'm quite aware of that. I was actually thinking about that the other day when I parked in front of the house and had a mini-melt down while sitting there for half an hour. Sometimes it just feels good to let it all out. I'd been holding it in for far too long. So, onward and upward.