Skip to main content

CIT--Day Two

I've come to realize that I essentially have a newborn again, in so many ways.

Bathing, dressing, feeding, bathroom essentials... we are forging a new bond as mother and daughter. It reminds me of when she actually was a newborn. The constant contact...the touching and loving and diaper changes at midnight. The essential building of trust and the tuggings of the heart. She woke me at four a.m. this morning because she had to go to the bathroom. Something she can no longer do by herself.

Not yet at any rate.

She is remarkably unselfconscious as I perform these personal duties for her---most likely because we are so very close. She's never been allowed to take a bath completely alone due to her seizure issues, so that part of our new routine is nothing new.

Other things are.

After our time at the hospital today, we came home and she had a fit of crying, as she did yesterday. She wanted the cast off, it was too heavy, it was too hot, it was too much. I held her and told her that even after only two days I could see a difference in her right hand. In how she moved it, how she used it. Can you imagine how very much improved it will be after the month is over?

I'm so proud of her.

My heart is full.

Comments

  1. Pamela, this brought tears to my eyes. Your are such a wonderful mother. It is obvious that Ashley completely trusts and adores you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kim.

    I'm the lucky one in this equation. She's been an incredible blessing to me---to our entire family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead....tell me the truth :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ahhhhhh

Ally and I just got back from the gym. I went every day last week and even though it's Spring break for the kids and me this week, I promised myself I wouldn't fall off the wagon. No, not that one. I've fallen off so many times I've got callouses and other assorted damages from hitting the ground. We'll see how this works out this time. One day at a time, right? I can't do more than I can do. Whoa, how profound is that? You're right. Not very. I'm fighting a cold right now---scratchy painful throat, ears that won't unplug and a heavy feeling in my chest that I fear does not bode well for the rest of the week. Not that we're taking a vacation. We'd love to of course, but what with times the way they are and the things we need to get done here, it simply wasn't an option. So what are we doing for our spectacular spring break? I'm glad you asked. We're cleaning! Yes, you heard right. And my kids (Ok, the younger ones at an...

Wheeeeeeee!

Today I was awakened to the not-so-delightful sounds of enormous dump trucks, (you know the ones that are a dump truck and they haul a trailer behind?) dumping truck load after truck load of dirt behind my house. Then the most incredibly noisey and squeaky (do they not grease the tracks on those things??) grader began shoving the dirt and rocks around. I had to fight the urge to throw a can of WD40 over the fence to the driver. It wasn't even eight in the morning. It wasn't even 7:30 yet. So I reluctantly arose from my bed and cleaned up the kitchen. After it was spotless, I went back upstairs to my freeze-zone (the only room in the house with AC) to do some online banking and make calls to check on medical bills, etc. As I was finishing up, in walks my husband! At first I had a moment of Oh-no-he's-lost-his-job terror. Then it passed after he smiled. Seems they ran out of work for the day. Odd, but then that's Boeing. So hubby was roped into going school cloth...

Oops

I keep forgetting to update this now that I've discovered the joys of Facebook. Oh, and agony of dealing with other issues. Like having the neurologist increase Ashley's seizure meds twice in one week because she's had seizures and then finding that the side effects are possibly worse than the seizures themselves. Now we're weaning her off the one med and slowly adding another one. I'm tired.... I've lost count of the nights I've spent holding her as she cries. She's missed so much school lately. You know what would be wonderful? To not have to do this anymore. Yes, there are worse things in this world. I'm quite aware of that. I was actually thinking about that the other day when I parked in front of the house and had a mini-melt down while sitting there for half an hour. Sometimes it just feels good to let it all out. I'd been holding it in for far too long. So, onward and upward.